A sleep study consists of a number of medical tests performed at the same time during sleep. The tests measure specific sleep characteristics and help to diagnose sleep disorders. Here at 4 Better Sleep, the sleep studies take place in our sleep lab which resembles a high end hotel. The goal is to record brain and body activity that occurs during sleep so that sleep disorders can be diagnosed and treated. Our highly skilled doctor, Dr. P Terrence Moore is trained in sleep medicine. He evaluates test results to determine a course of action and resolve sleep related issues. Additionally, all of our sleep technicians are licensed and one or more will monitor you via camera and monitor various body activities and indicators may be measured during a sleep study. Measurements may include:
• Eye movement. The number of eye movements and their frequency or speed.
• Brain activity. The electrical currents of the brain.
• Limb movement. The number and intensity of movements.
• Breathing patterns. The number and depth of respirations and whether there are episodes of shallow breathing (hypopneas) or episodes of breathing cessations (apneas).
• Heart rhythm and rate. The electrical activity of the heart.
• Oxygen saturation. The percentage of oxygen in the blood.
• Acid/base balance of the stomach. The amount of acid secreted during sleep.
• Sleep latency. The time it takes to fall asleep.
• Sleep duration. The period of time a person stays asleep.
• Sleep efficiency. The ratio of the total time asleep to the total time in bed.
• Arousals. Going from deeper to lighter stages of sleep or awakening, associated with limb movements or changes in breathing.
Contact us and schedule your appointment today!